The year that was 2019

An unusual year all round.

January to March: Most of this period was spent in Singapore where I was officially an "academic visitor" with my own small but adequate flat. I had access to a dining hall with the widest choice of food, which resulted in my putting on five kg by the time of my return.

April to July: Returned to the husband, now fully retired. Felt a bit remiss that I was not around for his numerous retirement celebrations. But as I had been writing about since Sociology 205 (Sociology of the Family): a spouse's retirement has a huge impact on the stay-at-home spouse.

I decided to forgo employment to help us transition through this period and I think there was a lot that we had to learn.

We've enjoyed many walks around the park -- brisk walks to lose some weight -- and I am delighted to see how he who was 'limping' has now acquired a more healthy gait and weight. I've also lost those five kg. We spent quite a lot of time planting, and later harvesting, food as well.


Salads and other vegetables from our own vegetable boxes were very satisfying.

Sadly I was now suffering my second frozen shoulder. I put it down to sleeping awkwardly on my long flight to Singapore. And so followed a series of visits to the GP and physiotherapist.

For some time it was too painful to cut and sew and the shop was left pretty bare. In between painful episodes, I sometimes managed to blitz a batch of hankies, and then they were gone rather quickly.

August/September: Back to teach at a Midlands university despite the pain, which was then more or less constant. A commitment is a commitment. But prior to this I managed to hurt the ankle on the same side as my frozen shoulder. Pavements around here are dreadful.

Due to the left side of my body being quite immobile, getting in and out of the bath for my morning shower was a challenge. I managed to take a fall in the bath after its weekly clean. Did the cleaner leave it a bit slippy? Who knows? (I was in student accommodation.)

As I went down, swishing left … right … left … right ..., my prayer was "Please don't let me bump my head. I don't want to lose consciousness and be found naked."

Clearly and thankfully I survived to tell the tale. Bruised all over, and potentially susceptible to a third frozen shoulder (!), I dusted myself off (metaphorically) and went off to teach … after my next-door neighbour and colleague applied an anti-inflammatory something on my right shoulder (which I could not reach with my frozen left shoulder).

A couple of weeks later the husband whatsapped in the early morning hours to say we had been burgled. Passports taken. Jewellery left by my late mother, gold and silver coins left by his late father, gone. They had entered through the front door, discovered the safe and removed the bolts that anchored it to the floor.

Husband and son were sleeping upstairs. Husband thought it was the son mucking about when he heard noise, until he heard an almighty crash -- the safe being dropped? -- and got up to tell off the son and found son soundly asleep. Alarm bells. Police. 

It took me some time to process all this, actually. I was busy marking essays. The tears and anger did not come till weeks after.

October to December: coming to terms with the burglary, sorting out insurance to replace missing items, acquiring new passports, repairing damage. Cutting and sewing and packaging and despatching hankies.

We hosted my nephew from the States, the one who couriers fabric for me. He and his wife were travelling with their ten-month-old baby. We had to install a travel cot for this visit.

Let's just say when we heard the baby cry, it was a glorious feeling to know that we did not have to dash out of bed to settle him. He was someone else's problem!

January 2020: I will be teaching two full days a week at a London university. Despatching speed might be lower. I hope all my wonderful customers continue to be understanding. Thank you for all your support and lovely messages this year.

A very successful and healthy 2020 to all!

Shopkeeper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six inches of time and 20 centimetres of parenting left

The year that was 2023

Overcoming obstacles or the blind leading the blind?