Upcycling clothing labels -- don't throw anything away!

Over the last two years I went through a period of buying new clothes to replace some "holey" ones. Each time I find a hard board label that comes with a punched hole and string, I say to myself: these are too good to go in the bin, even the recycling bin. (I am not sure if mixed materials like cardboard and metal can be recycled.)

As I started to write this, I googled and learned that these are called "string" or "swing tags". They are basically custom "travel tags" which you can buy at stationers. In fact, there are crafters who personalise travel tags and sell them on market platforms (five for £3.50!).

This is what I did for Christmas 2023.

I started with these tags, all of sturdy cardboard, with punched holes. I removed the strings, but kept them, and you can replace them later.

I then found my stash of Christmas cards from last year (ie those sent to us and saved from the bin). On the spot, decided to cut them into 1/2 inch strips. They could be any width, and don't even need to be the same width or length. I used a rotary cutter but you could use scissors or craft knife against a steel ruler. If working with a child and you wish to use a craft knife or even rotary cutter, I would suggest preparing the strips in a safe time and space, like when they are asleep!!

If you do not have a cutting mat, just use a very thick stack of newspapers, or a travel catalogue I happened to not need anymore.


After arranging the coloured strips roughly on the tags, I used PVA glue to stick them on, first horizontally, and then I experimented at an angle. Sticky fingers? I happened to have kept a disposable packet of "cutlery" that came with a gift of food. So I used the "spade-like" utensil to apply the glue and cleaned it off on a bit of scrap fabric. (Nothing goes to waste, see?)


Originally, the idea was to covered both sides with coloured strips. Then it struck me that by leaving one side white, I could write on it. Better still, why not use (borrow) the words on the greeting cards? 

When you have both the coloured and white sides in place, you can trim the protruding bits. Really, there is no need to be overly scientific about this. Finally, rethread the strings into the holes, or in my case, I used the little strips of ribbon from Christmas crackers collected over years. 

Here you can see how I got even lazier, and just cut out bits of coloured card that fitted!

As noted elsewhere, I eventually decided to use these as place setting cards. We had seven guests who did not all know one another, so these tags came in really useful. Also, as I was giving them books, these tags had a "second" life as a bookmark, too.

Am I pleased? Very much so. And it all started with, "These cardboard clothing tags are too good to throw away."

What do you think?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six inches of time and 20 centimetres of parenting left

The year that was 2023

Overcoming obstacles or the blind leading the blind?