My son ...

Yesterday was Speech Day at son's school. Son was joyous that he had won -- second year running -- the 'Attainment Prize' for his Form.

Husband and I went in a bit later than most other parents although we were not late. The church where this took place was quite full. We were sitting second row from the back.

The Headmaster came round and said, 'Like your hat,' to which I politely muttered 'Thanks'.

I think he was just checking my presence as he called me up with a few other ladies to accept bouquets for the work we do for the school community. (I organize fund-raising projects.)

It was an embarrassing walk right from the back of the church to the very front. I was thinking, 'Hmm, the last time I did this was at my wedding!'

Later on, husband quizzed son, 'Why is it that you've got a prize, and mum has got a 'prize' but I haven't got a prize?'

Son, without hesitation, 'Of course you've got a prize. You've got a prize way before me.'

Husband looking a bit puzzled: 'What do you mean?'

Son: 'You've got your prize. You've got your wife of course,' giving me a sideway glance.

Am I allowed to be honest here? I was totally gobsmacked. How does a six-year-old come up with something like that?

Just to set the record straight, I do not actually fall into the 'trophy wife' category.

This morning he told me, 'Getting a wife is like getting a prize to me.'


Back to Organic-Ally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six inches of time and 20 centimetres of parenting left

The year that was 2023

Overcoming obstacles or the blind leading the blind?