Table for one?

In a few minutes I take my son back to school -- at last, yay!

On Tuesday we went to his favourite little cafe as a treat. This is a department store cafe.

We arrived just after 11am and we could not find a seat. At last an older lady vacated her table. I took her tray back to the used trays trolley and we sat down to have our early lunch.

I looked around and was surprised to find so many people eating on their own, at tables intended for parties of four.

Were they being selfish by taking up so much room? Why not opt for a table for two?

We were resigned to having to share a table had our lady not get up just at that point.

Then it dawned on me that perhaps these people sitting on their own were hoping that others might join them at their tables.

Maybe yes, maybe no, as my son would say.

But when you are old and live on your own, a bit of conversation with a stranger in a 'safe' neutral place like the department store cafe is not a bad idea.

I remember from when I used to volunteer at an Age Concern shop, some older people would come in just for a chat. And we always chatted with them.

Meanwhile son had wolfed down his ham and cheese toastie.

Back to Organic-Ally. Become our fan on Facebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six inches of time and 20 centimetres of parenting left

The year that was 2023

Overcoming obstacles or the blind leading the blind?